Thursday, January 19, 2012

Luck must turn!

Vermont didn't go so well. Quick summary: 1 half day skiing for kids, sub-0 temps, 0 skiing for me, 1 trip to emergency room for my daughter, 3 stitches, little to no exercise, little to no rest. Hmmm...I know what I forgot... Last night my daughter puked ALL over the house. When do they learn to run to the toilet to do such things? All in all, it's been a full week so far. My wife is away on business this week, and these things seem to always happen when I'm alone with the kids. Wouldn't be exciting otherwise I guess.

On a positive note, I went to a meeting in my town last night for the beginning of a biking/triathlon club. The turnout was huge, but my guess is that most people there were more the occasional, social biking type...nothing like the hard-core, blood, sweat and tears triathlete that I like to believe I am.....Right! It is good to know that there are other maniacs, other than myself, who have an interest in this crazy sport, so something good should come out of it.

Training has been a joke lately. I'm not really sure how else to put it. In the last week I've done very little. Granted, a good part of this is because of my nagging leg injuries. But, I have no excuse not to get my lazy ass out there and do something.. anything! I attempted a 3.5 mile run yesterday, to see how the ole IT band would feel. I literally ran at 10 min/mile pace, and still, like clockwork, at 2 miles the pain kicked in. I'm starting to think I should take a month off from running to let things heal properly. It'll kill me to do so, but the last thing I want to do is drag this out into my actual Tri season. I will focus on swimming and as much biking/spinning/trainer work that I can if I do follow through on this. I am starting to think that there is a chance that my bike setup may be causing some of these issues. I made an appointment at the bike shop to be re-fit next week to check it out. I've really only been riding for a year, and on this bike for 6-7 months. Ive got to believe I am riding differently now then when I could barely push out 10 miles a year ago. Also, towards the end of the summer I added some clip-on aero-bars myself. God only knows if I did that right!

The focus now is GET HEALTHY. I currently have 3 tris on the calendar: Ridgefield Tri (sprint dist), NYC Tri (Olympic), and the big daddy The Timberman 70.3 (half-ironman). I'm hoping to add 2 more at some point along with some running and biking races for training purposes along the way. A lot to chew on while my legs feel like crap.

No comments:

Post a Comment