Friday, January 13, 2012

Working through pain

Go figure. I am in what is considered the "off-season" for triathlon here in the Northeast, and my training has not been nearly intense as it was months ago, yet I am plagued by injuries. I am really ok working through pain. My first half-marathon, which I ran in October, I completed knowing that 2 miles in, a nagging IT band injury would rear its ugly head, and I knowingly ran the race anyway. If you haven't experienced IT band syndrome, it is not fun. For me, it feels as though someone is stabbing your knee with an ice pick! That injury went away within a couple weeks. However, here I am again, with another IT injury, in the other leg. This is coming off some weird bruising type pain in my other knee that has been lingering for a month now. Also, my on and off relationship with achilles tendonidis. Bottom line, getting old sucks.

My wife and I have "sports-guru guy" who we see for things of this nature. He is technically a chiropractor, but he specializes in active release, and that fact that he is an iron-man himself, helps me to have faith in his knowledge. I went to see him yesterday. He stressed the importance of stretching, which for the first time in my life, I'm starting the deem as important. For now, I'll do everything but run. Running seems to intensify the pain. As much as I actually miss running 3x a week (yes, I actually said that!), I think it's important that I give the legs a rest from it. We are off the Vermont today for some skiing... We'll see how the old legs feel doing that.

No comments:

Post a Comment